COURTENAY PLACE LIGHTBOX EXHIBITION
Documentation of the visual journey over 8 months will be recorded.
Whanaungatanga (building family ties & relationships):
Asking the question - How are we recovering? Conversations with local community members, sharing stories and history. The purpose is to establish ties within the community prior to installation of the digital weavings. Creating 16 digital weavings with imagery sourced from the Te Aro community and landscape. 8 will follow the Whakapapa (genealogy) of Te Ao & 8 will follow the Whakapapa of Te Po.
WHAKAPAPA TE PO TE AO
1. TE AONUI (the great light)
2. TE AOROA (the long light)
3. TE AOPAPAKINA (the light that can be felt)
4. TE AOKITUA (the light beyond)
5. TE AOKIROTO (the light within)
6. TE AOTAWHITO (the ancient light)
7. TE AORŪRŪ (the sheltered light)
8. TE AOĀIO (the calm light)
1. TE PŌNUI (the great darkness)
2. TE PŌROA (the long darkness)
3. TE PŌPAPAKINA (the darkness that can be felt)
4. TE PŌKITUA (the darkness beyond)
5. TE PŌKIROTO (the darkness within)
6. TE PŌTAWHITO (the ancient darkness)
7. TE PŌRŪRŪ (the sheltered darkness)
8. TE PÕĀIO (the calm darkness)
* source: Te Ara
21/04/21 Video documentation - Courtenay Place
Te Aorūrū - The Sheltered Light.
The purpose of this work was to introduce myself to the area and visit the site of Te Aro Pā. I was unable to arrange access on this day. I would like to find out more of the history of Te Aro Pā.
The clip shows the light under the trees beside the lightboxes and walking up the road past St James Theatre.
21/04/21 video files digitally woven together to create the still image for the lightbox. The atmosphere is loud and chaotic within the square, that same energy is present within the digital weaving.
I am always interested to see what will happen when weaving the imagery together. The pattern work has an almost animated quality which I find comforting. It's fitting that this work should be a weaving to depict the sheltered light (See image below).
TE AORŪRŪ - The Sheltered Light
Example of the final digital weaving.
The final weavings will not be added to this page until the time of the exhibition.